點菜有兩種方式,一是a la carte照單點菜,一是table d'hote或fixed price meal份飯,套餐,后一種有幾道固定的菜肴和飲料,價格也是固定的。它的優點就是方便快捷,點菜時只需指著菜單說:
Please give me this one.
請給我來這個。
We want two number eights, please.
我們要四份第八套餐。
在點菜之前,一般先要份菜單:
May I have a menu, please?
我可以看菜單嗎?
如果不急于點菜,可以在服務生問到:
Can I take your order now?
你現在叫點什么嗎?
回答:Not quite. Could I have a few more minutes?
不,我可以再多等會嗎?
需要叫菜時,可以說:
Please take my order.
請接受點菜。
如果對當地的菜肴不熟悉,可以問:
What is the specialty of the restaurant?
這家店的招牌餐是什么?
Do you have any special meals today?
今天有什么特餐嗎?
What would you recommend? I prefer something light.
我想來點清淡些的,你能推薦什么嗎?
也可以讓同來的人替你作主,或是點重復的飯菜:
I'll leave it to you.
我讓你來點。
I'll have the same as that one.
我要一份和那個一樣的。
自己點菜可以更隨意些,例如:
A:Could you tell me how this thing is cooked?
能否告訴我這道菜是怎么做的?
B:Lobster? It's steamed and served with our special sauce.
龍蝦?蒸過后加上本店特制的調味料。
A:Is it good?
好吃嗎?
B:Sure. It's a most popular dish.
當然,很受歡迎的。
A:I think I'll try some lobster, and give me some green salad together.
我想我來點兒吧。再給我一份蔬菜沙拉。
B:We have three dressings for salad. Which one would you like ?
我們有三種沙拉調味汁,您要哪種?
A:What kind do you have?
你們有什么?
B:We have Italian, French and Thousand Island.
有意大利,法國和千島的。
A:Make it French please.
給我法式的吧。