1 “monkey around”是什么意思?
monkey作名詞是猴子的意思,但在這個口語表達中作動詞用,說到猴子,給我們的印象就是上躥下跳,一刻都停不下來。
所以,monkey around就有“到處閑逛,無所事事”的意思,而在具體語境中,還可以表達“胡鬧”的意思。
It is dangerous to monkey around in the workshop.
在車間里胡鬧是危險的。
They just stare back at the crowds of people who turn out to watch them. Then they continue to monkey around and have a good time.
他們只是回過頭來瞪著跑出來看的人群,然后繼續胡鬧,玩得不亦樂乎。
2 與monkey有關的其它俚語
那么和monkey有關的還有哪些有趣的俚語呢?
monkey business不靠譜行為
His wife could do nothing about his monkey business at the club.
他的太太對于他在俱樂部的不靠譜行為束手無策。
a monkey on one’s back遇到了麻煩的事
This project is such a monkey on my back right now—I can't wait for it to be over.
這個項目真的很難,我希望它快點結束。
monkey suit制服,禮服
I hate going to weddings and wearing a monkey suit.
我很討厭參加婚禮,也討厭穿禮服。
monkey see, monkey do有樣學樣
You must behave yourself, for your son is here. Monkey see, monkey do.
你要注意自己的言行。因為你兒子在這里,他會有樣學樣的。
to make a monkey out of someone使某人出丑,耍弄(或愚弄,戲弄,嘲弄)某人
You may make a monkey out of someone when you make that person look foolish.
你可能戲弄了某人,讓某人看起來很傻。
more fun than a barrel of monkeys非常有趣
He is quite popular with his friends because he is more fun than a barrel of monkeys.
他在朋友當中很有歡迎,因為他是個特別有趣的人。
3 表示“別鬧了”的常用英語口語,收藏必備!
那么,如果你身邊有一群非常喜歡monkey around的朋友的話,你要如何用英語向他們表示“別鬧了”呢?
這些超級實用的口語表達,請收好!
knock it off別鬧了;夠了
Knock it off, you have shouted at me a whole day.
夠了,你已經對我吼了一整天了。
drop the project別提了
If it's going to start an argument, let's drop the subject.
如果此事會引起爭論,那就別談這個問題了。
cut it out別說了;算了
Cut it out! You can't treat me like this!
別說了!你不能這么對待我!
that's enough夠了
Don't speak to me any more. That's enough. Get out of here !
別再和我說話了 夠了。出去!
come on算了吧,得了
Come on, it's five years of your life that we're talking about here.
得了,我們在這兒聊的可是你生命里的五年。
pack it in別說了
Your complaining annoyed me and just pack it in, will you ?
你老發牢騷我都煩死了,別說了,行不行?
(來源:滬江英語)